Painted Miniature & Custom Base

Joining a new role-playing group is always exciting – at least for me – and that’s probably because I rarely get to play. Don’t get me wrong, I love being a Dungeon Master, Story Teller, Judge, or whatever else you want to call the role. Every now and then, you need to find time to play. Experience different DMs to learn and pick up new skills. And for me, this also leads to me wanting to paint a miniature to represent my character.

As you can see where this is going, I was invited to join a new campaign of Dungeons & Dragons 5e being ran by my friend, Isaac. You might know him if you listen to any of our Podcast: Starfinder sessions – he plays our lovable Ysoki.

After creating my background story for my Paladin: Paenkoi Kiirnodel, I was inspired to pick up a new miniature to represent my character on the table. After several google searches and countless more images later, I settled on a miniature from Privateer Press.

I’ll be the first to admit I’m not a great painter – heck, I’m not even a descent painter. I also know one of the best painters in the world. Honestly, go check his work out, I’ll be here waiting.

After being filled with all of these inspirations, I kept the pace and decided to create a base for my miniature. Those little black bases that come with the miniatures are nice and all, but I was on a roll.

This took me several attempts before I made a base I was happy with. I have never done a 3D object with my CNC Router, so the night was filled with trial and error. I can however say, this was my third attempt when I finally reached something worthy of my Paladin.

Here are a couple of images from my failed attempts. The first image, I forgot to tell the router to cut the object out from the wood. Yes I could have done it manually, but I also learned it was the wrong size. No big deal, first attempt!  The second one was looking great, until I hit the “Finishing Stage” where it goes through and tries to clean up some of the rough parts. I’m not 100% sure what went wrong, but as you can see, something went wrong.

I plan on painting the base and adding a bit of flair to it before our next session Sunday. The goal is to have it all finished up Friday, then I’ll spend Saturday sealing the paint, and then Paenkoi will be ready to serve his faith.